Sunday, December 4, 2011

Lilith's Brood

Lilith's Brood

Octavia Butler

1987-2000

Dawn

I was a little surprise that Lilth;s Brood stems from a collective series of books rather then just one. I was only able to read Dawn and found it rather good as I expected. I am aware of Octavia Butler was a great author so I had really high exception. This was the first novel that I had ever read from her collection and I am sure it will not be my last.

I read Dawn of Lilith's Brood, which was about the human race has basically almost killed eradicated itself with nuclear warfare. To me this settling I ultimately see mankind coming to. People try to say its going to be aliens or a natural disaster that wipes out mankind, like 2012. But I see things differently, mankind. I ultimately think that mankind will end due to greed and power that two things that can and will ultimately destroy any man. I then go on to read that not only do aliens do come later on after the humancide on earth.

These aliens call themselves the Oankali, and basically do what we imagine happens if aliens do come to earth happens but not in the way we expected. Yes they do come and basically try to enslave us, but its not to mine for minerals or anything. These Oankali exactly come to exchange genes with us, which to me, at first, didn't really made any sense at the time. I mean why would anymore want to exchange genes  with the most one of the most imperfect species in the universe, to the point that they almost destroyed themselves? Why? I later come to find out that despite how "superior" the Oankail are they need the human in order to give their own genes diversity. The Oankail's perfection is actually there greatest weakness. Which I guess makes sense, It would be horrible if humankind had no diversity whats so ever and where just mindless sheep moving along.

I also come to find our main character Lilith whom in not only a basic slave for the Oankail, but she is also a recruiter for them also. Lilith's is a very conflicting character. She is torn between what her desires are and what is right to do. To either choose between accepting the superior species and their benefits or helping out her own species and break away the oppression of the Oankail. Her choices with the Oankail though are very limited. While reading I notice a lot of the themes of this book I see were sexism and racism. Two of themes that mankind never likes admit doing but continues to do so and tries to act like they are innocent about it. I never got to finish all three parts of the book but I hope one day could sit down and finish reading them.

No comments:

Post a Comment