Sunday, December 4, 2011

Harry Potter

Harry Potter

J.K Rowling


I am glad that I was able to revisit the Harry Potter universe this semester. Harry Potter is a mind blowing cultural phenomenon. Taking old legendary tells of the witch, wizards, and basically sorcery bring them to us in a relatable manner. The world of Harry Potter is written a way that you can literally feel like your there or more like you wish to be apart of that world, and in a way it has been. I see Harry Potter having a larger and more dedicated audience then any other fandom in the world, more than Star Wars and Star Trek. I see Harry Potter lasting for generations amongst our culture.

And I cant talk about one Harry Potter book without talking about them all. The simplicity of the series is what attracts me the most. What I mean by simplicity is that the overall plot of the story is very simple. Boy destroys evil before evil destroys boy. Its a very simple theme to follow.Plus their world is get insteresting. I would always find myself re-reading the ingredients to how a potion is made, or spelling being cast and how they effected the person casted upon. Also one of the neat things of the Harry Potter universe is that the characters are very relatable, especially to my generation. We might come from different world their problems are just like ours. Having reading of them going threw the years and make decisions big and small, especially the small ones, make me relate to them and draws me in even more.

There themes ever also very interesting. Even though Harry Potter started out as a children's book the themes in there could be considered very dark for some viewers.  Even there overall theme of the story to me wasn't about power or even really killing Harry Potter. To me the overall theme and driving force behind the story was. . . racism. Its all about racism, racism started this whole thing way back before even Voldermort was born. This whole issue about whom's born is better and purer then whom's. Racism to me has always been ridiculous to me I mean I bleed the same red blood that you bleed, regardless of blood origin or skin tone. This theme alone has kept me into the Harry Potter universe for so long even threw a young age I wanted to see how J.K handled this situation, which I felt that she handled it with grace. However after reading threw her books I know that there is always going to be one that tries to bring that hate to the surface and it is up to us as human beings to not fall into that circle of hate.

No comments:

Post a Comment