Sunday, December 4, 2011

Anansi Boys

Anansi Boys

Neil Gaimen

2005

     I would like to first start off by saying that before I picked up and read Anansi Boys that I already had pre-knowledge about Anansi and his background. As a child my mother used to read to me the Anansi stories retold by Eric. A Kimmel and illustrated by Janet Stevens. I was well aware that Anansi was a very LARGE African spider god, known for his mischief and manipulation of animals around him. However I was not expecting what got when reading the first couple of chapters of Anansi Boys.

     It starts out with our main character "Fat" Charlie Nancy. I was not surprised about the nickname for Charlie figured that Anansi was known for being quite the the glutton so I was not surprised about any of his children developing the "thickness". At the start of the story Charlie is in London preparing for is wedding when he is interrupted because his father has suddenly passed and heads to florida to take care and settle things. At this point I am a little confused. I figured that the main characters are human and are living normal human lives but I was surprised from this beginning for a number of reasons. One why are we not in Africa? I mean Anansi is a African god. I was quit surprised at the settling of the story is in London and not Africa and Mr. Nancy, who I assume is Anansi, is in Florida. I am also quite surprise to find out that Charlie actually knows is father. Typically I see the tale in which a boy grows up and then one day they find out who their real father is and go on this epic long quest. To follow in their footsteps to save the world or fulfill their destiny. You know, the same story that has been told a million times before. So the fact that he knew is father right off the bat was a bit of a revealer in hopes that they don't follow the formula.

     I was interest to find out that although Charlie knows his father he doesn't know the whole truth about him of corse. His father was actually a reincarnation of Anansi and that although he does not have any powers his brother, Spider, whom he didn't know he had, does. Basically they end up becoming rivals while fighter another rival and surprisingly there is hardly any involvement with Anansi. Which is good in its own way. I mean he was there at times but the story focused more on the journey of Anansi's boys Charlie and Spider. The themes were good. The characters were excellent, expect Coats, who I found quite annoying threw the story. And I felt overall that Neil Gaiman did an execute job in telling a tale of what Anansi and his demigod children would be like in the 21st century.

No comments:

Post a Comment