Monday, December 5, 2011

The Hobbit

The Hobbit

J.R.R Tolkein

1937

The Hobbit, when I first thought about reading the hobbit I was a bit intimidated to be honest. I felt that the writing style was going to be like Lord of the Rings, a bit complex and EXTREMELY detailed. However I come to find that the hobbit was actually pretty easy to read and was not at all as complexed as I imagine it would be.

The story focuses on Bilbo Baggins, not Frodo like I was expecting, as he travels with Gandalf, which I was extremely happy to find about, (cause lets face it, Gandalf is like the most badass wizard to ever live.) and others to basically steal treasure. Which I find quite hilarious, considering that Lord of the Rings was all about returning. Bilbo is at first reluctant to go but sooner or later he his of course talked into going and precedes to go on his heros journey.

I never really read Lord of the Rings and I only watched the movies like twice. So I personally didn't know much about the world they were stepping into. Reading is something is different from seeing something. The world kinda reminded me of Harry Potters world, with elves, giant spiders, and just this world that you could only dream of. I like how this story explained how the ring fell into Biblo's procession, which I did wonder about in watching Lord of the Rings.. My favorite parts of the story was of course Gandalf coming in the save the day all the time. But I also really enjoyed the part when Biblo has to solve a course of riddle games in order to make it out the cave. I always love when characters have to think mentally and their thought process of how to escape their situation. It show grow and development of the protagonist and shows that muscles is not always the key.

Overall I think that I really injoyed the book and that I am kinda glad that I read this before picking up Lord of the Rings. I feel that I know and is comfortable with the world that J.R.R Tolkein has put his characters in. And that I won't look like a complete idiot whenever  they reference from the Hobbit.

No comments:

Post a Comment